Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team is at the forefront of this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicles, transportation, and tech policy. Successful navigation of the political, community, and policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the international, national, state, and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of this technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, partnerships, and other teams; and we work closely with industry-leading legal and safety experts.
In this role you'll:
- Report directly to the Head of State Policy.
- Engage directly with state policymakers, regulators, industry stakeholders, and key opinion leaders to shape policy and political dialogue throughout the United States.
- Track current and emerging political activity at the state level while developing and executing policy strategy that benefits Waymo’s users and business and work closely with the City and Federal Policy teams.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with state elected officials, their staff, regulators, and other key external stakeholders such as staff and leadership of critical 527 groups and trade associations
- Work closely with other teams at Waymo to ensure up to date knowledge of company plans and reporting policy political developments with analysis.
- Develop and manage campaign style plans for our state policy initiatives
- Manage state consultant relationships and represent Waymo in state and industry trade associations.
Minimum experience, skills, and attributes:
- 8+ years of experience of public policy experience within government, or relevant nonprofit, public interest groups, companies, or industry associations; ideally at least 2+ years working specifically on technology or transportation policy issues
- Skilled and experienced at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before a wide variety of audiences
- Deep knowledge of State legislative dynamics and decision makers and an expansive political network. Preference for candidates with demonstrated experience in the Southwest and/or Southeast US.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Hands-on legislative and regulatory analytics experience, including drafting and editing legislation. Strong preference for direct experience with transportation-related regulatory agencies at state and city levels.
Preferred experience, skills, and attributes:
- Political networks and experience in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest, specifically New York State, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Massachusetts, etc.
New York City: To the extent this job is based in NYC, the expected salary range is $170,000 to $175,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, training, and skill level, so may be higher or lower than what is shown on this posting. This job is also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program and equity incentive plan.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.