- Full Time
Join TuSimple and help change the way the world moves. Together we're making freight transportation safer, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly.
Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking.
While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our current fleet of autonomous Trucks are helping communities receive much-needed supplies and medical equipment around the clock. Our people are some of the most talented engineers and contributors who are leaving behind a historic legacy.
TuSimple was founded in 2015 with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple is working to create the first global commercially viable autonomous truck driving platform!
TuSimple’s patent agent/attorney performs highly complex and sensitive work, in the harvesting of Intellectual Property (IP) and the procurement of patents and other intellectual property in support of our short- and long-term organizational objectives.
As a US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) license holder, the patent agent/attorney fully owns the patent application process, partnering with our technical teams to ensure completeness and inclusion of all patent-worthy IP. The patent agent/attorney liaises with outside counsel and our international teams to ensure global IP protection and supports or drives various IP counsel matters.
- Builds strong relationships and acts as a strategic partner to TuSimple’s technical teams to support the harvesting of intellectual property and aligns the patent portfolio with the Organization's short- and long-term objectives.
- Develops and leads patent training and invention harvesting meetings. Organizes and coordinates invention disclosure reviews and evaluations.
- Partners with technical teams, and other cross-functional teams, to ensure accuracy of all patent applications and associated documentation.
- Prepares, files, and prosecutes patent applications before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), ensuring the inclusion of all critical IP. Communicates with, and liaises between, technical teams and the USPTO throughout the patent application process. Responds to USPTO’s communications in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Liaises with outside counsel and other service providers, coordinating workflow, and ensuring work product meets or exceeds defined work scope and TuSimple’s needs.
- Conducts patent analysis projects, including art searches, competitive intelligence analysis, infringement analysis, portfolio analysis, claim charts, validity analysis, etc.
- Identifies, analyzes, and solves for complex intellectual property issues.
- Supports the IP Paralegals with docket database management, invention disclosure tracking, and IP reporting, as necessary.
- Provides support to Global Head of IP and the wider legal team with IP transactions, litigation, post-grant proceedings, and other IP counsel needs.
- Stays abreast of relevant technology trends and current patent prosecution trends/issues.
Experience & Skills – Required
6 years of patent prosecution experience. A Master’s Degree or higher is preferred for the patent agent role.
- Deep knowledge of US and international patent laws, rules, and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of principles, procedures, and standards for drafting a range of complex and technical patent documentation.
- Understanding of current and emerging technical developments and trends, particularly within the Autonomous Driving industry.
- Proven success with building relationships with cross-functional technical teams resulting in consistent harvesting of IP.
- Strong understanding of patents including claim construction and current patent case law.
- Proficient in claim charting, patent mining and/or analysis.
- Ability to discuss and transition between high-level architecture and low-level implementation when discussing technologies.
- Demonstrated understanding of patent valuation – licensing, encumbrances, exhaustion, standard obligations, royalties, infringement, and prior-art.
- Ability to conduct patent research and formulate an opinion regarding infringement, validity, and economic impact.
- Experience explaining technology and patents in layman’s terms to a variety of audiences.
- Experience conducting patent landscapes.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings/plans/documents/data/etc.
- Knowledge and experience utilizing engineering fundamentals and testing methods.
- Required Certification, License or Memberships: Current United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) License.
- A strong drive and willingness to own projects and see them to completion.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills combined with a practical, quantifiable and structured approach to problem solving.
- Ability to structure and develop thoughtful and practical recommendations driven by fact-based analysis.
- Ability to independently develop presentations for communication with senior management or external partners.
- Strong research skills.
- Proven ability to maintain excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong relationship management skills, including utilizing partnering, consulting, and leadership skills to build credibility and influence across all levels within and externally of an organization.
- Proven ability to de-construct complex issues into straight-forward concepts and present recommendations that successfully navigate to resolution, in an organized and methodical framework.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Capable of listening and obtaining clarification, changing approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to effectively partner with cross-functional teams to coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Proven track record of effectively influencing the actions and opinions of others at all levels of the organization. Able to effectively and respectfully challenge the status quo and drive change.
- Demonstrated experience building and improving processes and promoting quality.
- Superior analytical and decision making skills with established understanding of business implication of decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent assignments while meeting deadlines and demanding quality execution.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization, tech start-up experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain steady leadership throughout aggressive deadlines, changing priorities, and evolving operations, as common to progressive start-up environments.
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 100% Company-paid Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance plans
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Company 401(K) program with Company match
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid education/training
- Company-paid gym membership
- Shape the landscape of autonomous driving
- Opportunity for professional growth and career advancement
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner while on-site at one of our office locations
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring, and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.
Salary Range: $126,000 – $210,000
Please note: Individual salaries will vary within this range based on factors such as location, business needs and candidate's skills, education and experience.
Please note: Individual salaries will vary within the following range based on factors such as location, business needs and candidate's skills, education, and experience.