- Full Time
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
About the Role
Torc is looking for an intern to join our Systems Engineering team responsible for defining, tracking, and updating the requirements for our autonomous driving system. This team provides a central role in the product development process, ensuring that the system being developed matches the customer's needs, and making the design decisions that pave the way to productization of this technology.
What you’ll do
- Creating the behavioral, physical, and safety specification for an SAE L4 autonomous truck product
- Design discussions about technical details spanning across hardware, software, functional safety, validation, and operations
- Identifying key product challenges and generating achievable solutions
- Deriving system requirements from external stakeholders, regulatory bodies, liability review, operating domain, and societal expectations
- Developing system design documentation including description of the dynamic driving task, functional flow block diagrams, requirement derivation and allocation to components based on the ASIL designation
Work with a highly skilled and experienced international team to find the right design solutions to exceptionally complex and challenging problems
Collaborate closely with safety engineering teams to ensure the design process is aligned with industry best practices as defined in ISO 26262 (FUSA), ISO 21448 (SOTIF), and other emerging standards
What you’ll need to succeed
- Enrolled in a Master's program in systems engineering, robotics, computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related technical field
- Strong analytical skill and ability to abstract and apply systems thinking
- Interest in learning how to specify requirements for complex products with multiple levels of subsystems
- Broad understanding of engineering fundamentals in software, networking, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Proficient communication skills in both written documentation and verbal presentation, especially the ability to communicate complex technical issues to a diverse team
- Systems engineering experience
- Experience with robotic, automotive, or aerospace systems
- Multimodal sensor usage and knowledge background
- Familiarity with functional safety analysis processes (HAZOP, FMEA, STPA, FTA)
- Programming experience in C++ and Python
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.