About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
About the Role:
Torc is looking for a Systems Architect to join a team responsible for defining, tracking, and updating the architecture description for our autonomous driving system. This team provides a central role in the product development process, describing the overall system architecture and its software and hardware components. To achieve this the team works closely with other systems, software and hardware teams and domain experts.
What you’ll do:
- Define what system elements are necessary to build an SAE Level 4 autonomous truck
- Determine how system architectural elements shall interact with each other to produce the desired operational features and capabilities of the product
- Employ model-based design practices to specify and simulate the behavior of the robotic system
- Build physical, logical, and behavioral architecture models, capturing different views of the system under development
- Identify key technical challenges and what questions need to be answered to design a product that is safe, reliable, and profitable
- Analyze existing architectures and refine as needed to realize needed system capabilities
- Work at multiple levels of abstraction within the product and generate a comprehensive and self-consistent architectural specification
- Maintain up to date knowledge of the technologies and approaches used to build autonomous solutions
- Collaborate with all areas of the system, software, and hardware development for autonomous trucks
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Master’s degree in systems engineering, computer science, robotics, or related technical field
- 7+ years technical design experience for robotic, automotive, or aerospace systems
- Model-based systems engineering experience
- Experience defining architecture for systems with multiple abstraction levels
- Background in working on robotics within loosely bounded operational design domains
- Multimodal sensor usage and knowledge background is beneficial
- Broad understanding of engineering fundamentals in software, networking, electrical, and mechanical systems, and system elements
- Open to occasional travel to partner or customer facilities
- PhD and 5+ year of relevant work experience
- Experience developing or implementing vehicle level control software
- Programming experience in C++ and Python