Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success.
About The Team
Thermal Engineering is the team behind the Tesla Heat Pump, Supermanifold, Octovalve, Superbottle, Airwave, Bioweapon Defense Mode and more. Our multi-disciplinary team of engineers work together across phases of development from idea inception, through prototyping, production, and fleet support.
Thermal R&D is responsible for system-level architecture (including radiators, refrigerant heat exchangers, compressors, fans, pumps, etc.) supporting the cabin, battery, and powertrain across all Tesla vehicles. We’re looking for a key player who can help drive data analytics and work cross-functionally to uncover opportunities in product improvements. Candidates should have experiene working with large data sets, and using data to help create critical metrics, characterize engineering systems, optimize product performance, and build useful data pipelines, visualizations, and dashboards.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, Statistics, or related field
- Strong proficiency in SQL, Python for writing efficient queries, data manipulation, and analysis
- Strong knowledge of data visualization techniques and tools using Matplotlib, Plotly, etc.
- Strong problem solving skills to help refine problem statements and solve them with the available data
- Exceptional organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to take on projects with a sense of ownership and entrepeneurial mindset
- Experience with distrubuted computing (Spark/Hive/Hadoop)
- First principles understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics with relevant project/research experience
- Experience creating data products and dashboards in Tableau, R Shiny, or D3
- Experience building machine learning models with demonstrated impact
- Experience communicating the results of analyses with stakeholders/leadership teams, and working cross-functionally across different teams
- Experience in developing numerical models and experimental characterization of thermal/fluid/refrigerant systems and head exchanges