- Full Time
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Mechanical development engineer to create, develop and scale up manufacturing processes for our cutting-edge Tesla battery cell manufacturing line. This role will invent, develop, scale up and optimize battery manufacturing processes within a cross-functional engineering team responsible for the development lifecycle and launch into manufacturing. In this role, you will work closely with many organizations both internal and external to Tesla taking new battery designs from initial concept through into full production.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in highly motivated and capable team to make unbelieve things into reality.
- MS or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years relevant experience in interdisciplinary/integrated engineering, process development, manufacturing engineering, or 5+ years in Battery R&D and Manufacturing in a commercial lithium-ion environment.
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of lithium-ion battery technology including material selection, fabrication, and synthesis; new battery cell design, assembly, testing, and failure mode analysis.
- Hands-on experience with lithium-ion battery cell product development is a strong plus.
- Strong working knowledge of Fluid dynamics and dispensing applications is preffered
- Deep understanding of engineering fundamentals and ability to apply them towards manufacturing process development
- Demonstrated capabilities in manufacturing process development for new products and Ability to transfer technologies from R&D into manufacturing is required.
- Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deliverable deadlines amidst changing requirements, deadlines, and priorities
- Manufacturing process specification and evaluation experience
- Proficient in using Catia, SolidWorks, Inventor, and/or AutoCAD
- Automation equipment design and development experience – High speed automation, robotic, vision, material handling, Conveyors, PLC, HMI, etc.
- Travel required ~ 15%