Tesla is seeking a motivated and driven Layout Design Engineer who will support layout development for new Vehicle and/or Energy Products manufacturing lines. This role requires a thorough understanding of Industrial Engineering fundamentals and substantial skills with 2D or 3D CAD software. It is critical for a successful applicant to solve problems using first principles analysis, and exercise aggressive design optimization. This candidate will also be expected to provide leadership and guidance to junior team members, with the potential to grow into a direct management role. This role will be based at Tesla Headquarters in Austin, TX.
The team is responsible for developing a factory design which supports seamless integration between production, material flow, construction, and facilities teams. Innovation is expected. Through a detailed understanding of the high-level factory objectives and extensive collaboration with the internal and external teams designing individual factory components, this team ensures that the factory design as whole achieves all of Tesla’s objectives.
The ideal candidate will excel in a demanding and fast-paced environment where they will work as part of a strong, agile, and highly motivated team to accomplish some of the most ambitious projects being attempted in any industry today. A successful applicant will take pride in their thoroughness, analytical ability, organizational skills, and team mentality. The candidate will be able to think at a systems level about ambiguous problems and use strong logic to develop models that drive optimal factory design decisions.
· 7+ years engineering experience with emphasis on layout, material flow, and project management
· BS/MS in Engineering (or equivalent experience)
· Experience with Revit (preferred) or AutoCAD
· Experience analyzing/optimizing factory, production line, or warehouse designs
· Experience developing innovative, thoughtful solutions to systems-level problems
· Comfortable working on ambiguous problems
· Mastery in conflict management and objective thinking
· Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
· Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
· Mastery of Excel, PowerPoint