The Drive System Engineering team is looking for a world class Senior or Staff Geartrain System Engineer to tackle the hardest challenges and help push technology forward for Drive Units. Some of these hard problems can be parametric modeling of geartrain efficiency model development and calibration, bearing creep modeling and research. We are also looking for the candidate to be self-motivated and bring forward research and investigations ideas that will help push the boundaries of electric vehicle technologies.
Our world-class engineering teams do not operate like conventional automotive development structures. We have extremely high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, to innovate and you will be given the space and latitude to do so.
You must want to work in a fast-paced company. We are building real products. This must excite you. You will work alongside accomplished, world-renowned engineers on perhaps the most exciting automotive programs in existence today.
This position is with the Drive Systems Engineering team and works side by side with vehicle modeling engineers and other groups inside Tesla engineering. Projects can be open-ended, and the individual must strive in a challenging dynamic environment.
- Experience with gear tribology modelling, lubrication modelling, contact analysis with analytical and numerical tool.
- Understanding of bearing lubrication and tribology
- Understanding of bearing failure mechanisms
- Understanding of EIBD mechanism in electric motor, corresponding failure mechanism, and mitigation solutions is a plus
- Background in electrical engineering and mechanical engineering
- Experience with data analysis software (e.g., MATLAB, Simulink, Python, etc.)
- Experience with instrumentation, measurement, calibration, and laboratory testing
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Material Engineering
- Modeling architecture experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of electric motors and gearboxes is a plus