As a Sr Test Equipment Design Engineer for the Homologation and Safety Testing Team, you will be part of a global engineering team to help ensure Tesla vehicles are among the safest on the road. Our team is responsible for passive safety evaluations worldwide for both homologation and consumer rating organizations. We conduct testing, perform analysis, and support design decisions to meet Tesla’s internal safety targets. Successful engineers in this role will be able to design, commission, and operate state-of-the-art passive safety test equipment for the entire Tesla product line. This is a critical role for Tesla as you will be a part of a Rockstar global testing team that works tirelessly to develop and validate world-class vehicles in terms of form, function, and most importantly, safety for our customers.
“Sometimes people think it is performance, but safety is always the primary design requirement for a Tesla” – Elon Musk
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or another relevant technical discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in equipment design, test engineering, or industrial automation
- Deep understanding of mechatronic engineering, especially in motor control, HV DC systems, hydraulic/pneumatic systems, and distributed data acquisition
- Working knowledge of relevant equipment safety standards including NEC, NFPA79, UL508
- Passion for applying the same safety-first Tesla Vehicle design principles to the design and deployment of test equipment
- Strong hands-on capability including electrical assembly, wire harness fabrication, soldering, and basic machining
- Demonstrated ability to execute complex projects with interconnected tasks in parallel, across teams, in a short timeframe, with the ability to pivot rapidly
- Experience with agile project management systems and methodologies (including JIRA project setup and execution) as well as scheduling and timeline software tools
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English with a variety of cultures, in all forms (verbal, calls, texts, emails)
- A positive attitude, high attention to detail, desire to do things right, and a strong passion for saving lives
- Ability and willingness to travel up (~10%)