Responsible for complex technical work in a wide range of EHS disciplines within design, manufacturing, and commissioning. He or She will serve as discipline lead for the EHS Engineering team, interacting with many multi-disciplinary teams (technology development, manufacturing engineering, factory design, facility engineering, etc.); ensure regulatory compliance can be met in new equipment and processes, facilities and designs, perform process and facility risk assessments, and implement EHS and industry best practices. The engineer will play a key role in the sustainable design and operation of Tesla’s business.
The overall charter is risk reduction across all operations. The candidate must work well on company expansion projects, self-initiated projects and those driven by concerns and issues reported by employees and stakeholders. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her analytical abilities to apply principles of process safety in design and manufacturing, knowledge of regulations, organization skills, attention to detail and ability to solve problems quickly and creatively.
- B. S. in Engineering (Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Nuclear, Process Safety or other relevant major), M.S. preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of related work experience.
- Work experience in chemical process, hydrometallurgy, battery, semi-conductor, or pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
- Experience in facilitating various risk assessment and process hazard assessment methodologies such as: HAZIDs, HAZOPs, LOPAs, DHAs
- Working ability to read and understand Process and Instrument Diagrams (P&IDs), Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs), Mechanical, Electrical, and Architectural permit sets, CAD drawings
- Working experience with functional safety, including ability to identify process that requires safety instrumented systems (SIS) and establish safety instrumented levels (SIL) for associated instrumentations
- Experience in meeting industry best practice guidance from: NFPA 652, NFPA 654, ISA 84, IEC 61508, IEC 65111, CCPS Risk Based Process Safety
- Creative, flexible, analytical, and detailed oriented.
- Excellent understanding of sustainability and environmental topics and fundamentals (such as: sustainable design, planning policy, waste, carbon/energy, responsible sourcing, water, land use change, biodiversity, and certification systems)
- Ability to manage and organize multiple projects with competing priorities and different timescales (i.e.: checkpoints with long-term goals while completing shorter term goals)
- Demonstrated passion for human safety, environmentally sustainable practices, risk reduction and pollution prevention.
- Working knowledge of OSHA, EPA and various state agency regulations, international regulations is a plus
- Certification(s) in process safety and/or functional safety such as Exida CFSP/CFSE, TUV Functional Safety Certification is a plus
- This position will be based in Fremont, CA or Austin, TX with traveling requirements to visit Tesla’s facilities in the US and international territories.