In this role you will serve as a key technical member of the Solar Products Design Engineering team, with the mission to optimize the installation process for the most innovative solar and roofing product in the world. You will work at the intersection between Design Engineering, Engineering Testing and Installation Operations. You will have cross- functional engagement with design, sales, supply chain, service and training.
You are a hands-on problem solver, bringing your experience designing and prototyping mechanical systems to develop solutions to improve the Solar Roof installation process in partnership with the broader Solar products Design Engineering and Applications Engineering team of experts. You will collaborate with the broader team to set-up and perform tests to facilitate ongoing product improvement.
An ideal candidate will be a creative, dynamic out-of-the-box thinker who loves challenges and can apply solid engineering fundamentals. Excellent written and verbal communication are a must. Members of our team display a rock-solid work ethic, are team oriented, creative, passionate, and desire to drive the adoption of sustainable energy at scale.
- BS or MS in related field; mechanical engineering; civil engineering; electrical engineering
- 1 – 3 years relevant work experience; experience with solar or roofing technologies preferred.
- Experience designing and building working prototypes of mechanical products
- Strong understanding and familiarity with engineering process and fundamentals
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems with minimal resources
- Deep passion for changing the way we use energy on the electric grid
- Willingness to spend up to 25% of your time at Tesla Solar customer installations or other travel
Preferred Skills / Experience
- Fundamental understanding of rooftop PV systems, roofing systems and/or general building construction
- PV Installation experience, residential retrofit, ground mount, commercial, off grid, etc.
- General roofing experience; pitched, flat single ply, membrane, standing seem, etc.
- Familiarity with applicable industry codes; electrical, roofing, construction, etc.