What to Expect (Background):
Tesla is re-thinking how batteries are made from the ground up. We’re designing new factories, new equipment, new processes and new software to rapidly scale battery manufacturing, globally. The primary bottleneck to Tesla’s future expansion (and the transition to sustainable transport and energy storage) is our ability to produce and procure batteries – that’s why we’re innovating in-house, with our collection of world-class engineers, to redefine the industry. Software, data and automation all play a huge part in this strategy.
We’ve built software from scratch with a nimble and high performing team to meet the specific needs of Tesla’s rapid battery manufacturing scale up. This software tracks every component of the cell manufacturing process and acts as the brain of the entire cell factory.
In tandem we’re building a world-class support engineering team that lives in the cell organization and directly supports the cell software stack. You will join an expert team tasked with maintaining the health of our software systems. We’re looking someone to maintain close relationships with end users, and who can dive in and own technical problems. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment and can handle multiple issues and escalations at once, triaging and prioritizing them according to an understanding of the cell process and business operations. This is not your standard software support role. You will be embedded with the dev team and actively pushing that team to improve the software product. The improvements you push for will have a direct impact on the efficiency of our cell factories. Our team runs 24×7 to match the manufacturing facilities that we support, and you will be needed on an on-call rotation with potential for rotating schedule.
What You’ll Bring (Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering field or equivalent experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Open to working shifts as needed (4 day, 10 hours) including night shift rotation
- +1 year of working knowledge of SQL, Splunk or other data analysis/query platform
- Exposure to Python, Go or other software development language. Comfortable looking through code to understand what it does – no previous development experience required
- Demonstrated familiarity with developer tools like git, Splunk, and Jira
- Must be able to understand integrated systems and their dependencies
- Strong organizational skills along with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills, energetic and a self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments
- Smart but humble with a bias for action