Tesla’s Supplier Industrialization team is responsible for critical raw materials, component production and qualification activities at suppliers. This role will be responsible for selecting, qualifying, scaling battery cell materials (focuses on cell polymer materials such as separator, binder, etc.) manufacturing processes and quality system at Tesla supplier locations. In this role, you will work closely with many organizations both internal and external to Tesla, taking new battery designs from initial concept through into full production.
The battery cell is a critical component in Tesla vehicles and storage systems. This role will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to our products. The work environment is demanding, fast-paced and incredibly exciting. The ideal candidate should be ready to push their limits, as they join in highly motivated and capable team to make unbelievable things into reality
· MS in Chemical or Material or Polymer science engineering discipline, with 2+ years of experience in battery cell polymer material manufacturing process & quality control, including separator, binder, or related materials.
· Experience in characterizing polymer materials using techniques like XRD, FTIR, SEM, Stress-strain diagram, DSC, DTA, hardness test, etc.
· Experience in developing OQC/IQC quality controls, metrology qualification for cell materials
· Must be well versed in statistical data analysis & process capability analysis
· Working knowledge of battery cell manufacturing requirements, cell performance requirements and corresponding relationship to polymer material characteristics
· Good communication and presentation skills.
· Ability to travel – 35%
· Experience in high volume manufacturing is desired