Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Senior Controls Engineer for our Gigafactory in Reno Sparks Nevada to contribute to the design and development of new automation equipment and assembly lines. The Senior Controls Engineer will work to develop machine and process concepts along with several Manufacturing Engineering peers. Candidate will create a robust system architecture to support the concept, and then layout electrical/pneumatic schematics. Once the electrical panel is built, he/she will program all controls components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, servo drives, process hardware and robots from power-on to debug, and finally to process fine tuning and validation. The Senior Controls Engineer will also work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire life cycle of the product and processes. She/he will work closely with Product Design Engineering, Quality, Production and Maintenance to bring components from initial design, through prototype development and finally into full production.
· PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, Siemens TIA Portal, or Beckhoff TwinCAT)
· Safety PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, SIMATIC Safety Integrated, or Beckhoff TwinSAFE)
· Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI – Ignition, Studio 5000 View Designer, SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal), or TwinCAT HMI)
· Field bus Networks (Ethernet IP, PROFINET, EtherCAT)
· Familiarity with Electrical prints and standard for Industrial equipment
· Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems
· Familiarity with Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots is highly desired (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson)
· In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric code, UL508A).
· In depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
· Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems.
· Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment:
· Demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs. Must have a well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and organization. Ability to program state machines for complex processes which involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and place automation, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
· Proficiency creating detailed electrical and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD Electrical preferred)
· Proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency drives
· Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, DC nutrunner torque controllers, current and power meters, etc)
· Experience programming Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots is highly desired (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson)
· Experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc)
· Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment is highly desired
· Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production desired
· Knowledge of production quality metrics
· Ability to use 3D CAD packages such as with SolidWorks and CATIA
· Industry or Project Experience in Automation
· BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in:, Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, , Software Engineering, Computer Science, etc.)
· 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.