Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Engineer to lead standardization and quality improvement programs across Tesla’s vehicle manufacturing business. This role will report to the Quality Engineering team, which supports all vehicle models. As a Programs Engineer you will be expected to prioritize and lead work in partnership with executives, operational leaders, engineers, associates, and other key stakeholders from across the company. You will gather the business requirements for multiple concurrent Quality projects and drive the resourcing (both internal to the team and cross-functionally) for these projects. You will also be expected to facilitate the sharing of best Quality practices and lessons learned across our sites; as such, you will be expected to bring a passion for and commitment to meticulous documentation and communication. The ideal candidate absorbs new information and technical context rapidly, communicates clearly to engineers and operators alike, and thinks creatively to find solutions when problems and delays inevitably arise.
- Lead cross-functional problem-solving teams to drive process and product improvements; use organizational and critical thinking skills to facilitate issue resolution including root cause investigations and the development, implementation and monitoring of effective corrective and preventive actions.
- Facilitate cross-functional PFMEA teams, coach employees on PFMEA, 5 Why, Fishbone, 8D, PDCA and other formal problem-solving tools
- Own standardization and quality improvement programs from “concept to completion” in dynamic manufacturing environments while mitigating risk and variability
- Track project performance, specifically to analyze the successful completion of short- and long-term goals.
- Manage Quality roadmap of projects working within the framework of the overall Manufacturing Quality team; set goals, track deliverables, identify risks and opportunities, and drive mitigation efforts across all stages of each project
- Lead the team’s efforts to meticulously document Tesla’s quality operating standards
- Visit the factory floor regularly to understand requirements and adjust program strategy
- Develop and implement quality standards as part of the Tesla Quality Management System to assure products meet expectations of our target customers.
- Promote and maintain a culture and attitude of continuous improvement, working within the Tesla team to make it more efficient, safer and an enjoyable place to work.
- Establish and maintain Quality performance metrics.
- Take a first-principles approach to technical decisions in the face of tight timelines, engineering challenges, and limited resources
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Minimum of 4+ years of experience in an administrative capacity preferably in a high-volume manufacturing environment (automotive preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering preferred, but not required
- Experience with broad variety of measurement and inspection techniques
- Demonstrated ability in effectively managing and launching projects involving a variety of stakeholders and constraints
- Ability to read and interpret 2D drawings and 3D-CAD
- PMP Project Management Professional Certification preferred, but not required
- Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize with strong time management skills in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex information to diverse audiences
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and strong sense of urgency
- Ability to work with minimal guidance; Proactive, motivated self-starter
- Flexibility and ability to handle and manage change effectively and efficiently
- Outstanding oral & written communication skills and ability to articulate complex information in a simple way
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, OneNote, Sharepoint)
- Familiar with Atlassian tools (Confluence, JIRA)