As a Mechanical Design Engineer in Tesla’s Power Electronics team, you will be responsible for the design of cutting edge, world-class power converters used across the entirety of Tesla, from Vehicle and Energy Storage to Solar and Manufacturing. You will be joining an elite team of driven engineers with a huge scope, reach, and potential impact. We are hardcore and the work is fast-paced and challenging – Tesla’s mission and vision must excite you.
Power electronics is one of the few fields that pushes the limits of a wide breadth of mechanical engineering. You will be required know and apply statics & dynamics, fluids & thermals, mechanics & vibration, etc. Our work is highly multi-disciplinary and you will be expected know or learn basic electrical and magnetic physics and even some elementary material science. Strong design skills, a ‘first-principles’ approach to problem solving, and curiosity to learn and develop are must-haves.
At Tesla, our design work doesn’t only exist on a computer screen – design engineers will drive prototype builds, engineering testing, and validation of our products. Your day-to-day tasks will involve design, analysis, and testing of all structural, thermal, environmental, and insulating aspects of converter components and their electrical connections. An example would be the detailed design of custom magnetic components such inductors, transformers, filter chokes, etc. You will own the design from conception thru all of its iterations to mass-production.
- Modeling and design of mechanical components and assemblies including plastics, sheet metal, heat sinks, insulation systems, magnetic components, high voltage connectors, fasteners, and other components.
- Mechanical design analysis including thermal, CFD, structural, design for assembly, and design for test.
- Solve electronics packaging issues including: electrical isolation, sealing, thermal management, interconnection, shock and vibration management, electromagnetic interference (EMI), RF communications, etc.
- Develop engineering test plans for designs.
- Create drawing packages and manufacturing instructions for parts and assemblies.
- Assist in engineering prototype builds and component fabrication.
- Collaborate with other mechanical, systems, electrical, digital control, manufacturing, industrial design, and test engineers to take designs from prototype through mass production.
- Experience designing packaging for electronic assemblies including in-depth understanding of relevant component fabrication processes.
- Deep understanding of material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets, thermal interface materials, potting, etc.).
- Proficiency using 3D mechanical design and analysis tools (CATIA, ANSYS Icepak, StarCCM).
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Knowledge of GD&T, finite element analysis, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience using CATIA V5 and/or V6.
- Experience with PLM systems, engineering changes, deviations, BOM structuring, etc.
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Python and ANYSYS.
- Experience with environmental, reliability, safety, and industry standard requirements for automotive, industrial & residential products.
- Basic understanding of electrical design fundamentals.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, diecast, etc.
- Familiarity with PCBAs and PCBA components