We are seeking a Senior Energy Trading Analyst to drive continual performance improvements of the largest fleet of battery storage projects in the world. This includes Tesla’s utility-scale battery fleet (i.e., transmission level) and virtual power plants (i.e., aggregation of residential batteries at the distribution level). Using Tesla’s in-house automated trading platform, Autobidder, you will be responsible for bidding batteries into multiple wholesale energy markets, ensuring the assets meet contractual obligations, and complying with market rules. This includes: developing and executing trading strategies, monitoring automated trading systems, balancing risk and expected returns from different trading strategies, making real-time trade decisions during key market opportunities, analyzing asset performance and market conditions, developing tools to support analytics, developing and prototyping new algorithm ideas and strategies as part of the team’s R&D process, communicating complex situations to broad audiences, and presenting to internal and external stakeholders.
You will serve on the front-lines of the transition to sustainable energy, which requires high-performing batteries to bolster the grid and support a renewable future. You have a bias towards action, are an effective cross-functional communicator, and excel on collaborative fast-paced teams.
• Several years of direct experience in at least one of the following: electricity market trading/operations, electricity market research with a focus on energy storage participation, energy-related commodity trading.
• Existing expertise in at least one of the following: US (ERCOT, CAISO, ISO-NE), European (UK), or Australian (AEMO) wholesale electricity markets (or similar market not listed), and aptitude and interest to learn many others. This should include experience with both energy and ancillary service products.
• Python proficiency: Able to run, modify, and build analytical tools. Able to manipulate, analyze, and visualize data.
• Track record of positively impacting investment or trading decisions through your own market analysis and insights, either with personal or professional projects.
• A passion for extracting insight from data and complete comfort in communicating highly technical topics to a range of audiences.
• Structured and systematic thinker.
• Ability to quickly make analysis-based decisions in uncertain situations.
• Collaborative teammate excited to compete as a team.
• Proficiency in: SQL, Git, Docker, Linux.
• Experience on an electricity or gas trading desk.
• Experience in stationary storage industry, or prior modeling of stationary storage energy market applications.
• Familiarity with linear optimization.
• Familiarity with time-series forecasting methods.