The Cell Manufacturing Engineering team at Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Manufacturing Equipment Engineer to contribute to the development and design of battery cell manufacturing equipment. Battery cells are one of the most complex and challenging components designed and manufactured at Tesla. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to Tesla’s world-class manufacturing facilities. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on designing and developing a new generation of leading edge, high speed, ultra-high scale automated manufacturing equipment. In addition to developing and sourcing automated manufacturing equipment, the Manufacturing Equipment Engineer works with cross-functional teams to test, validate, and roll-out equipment to production. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills, and attention to detail. S/he appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed, and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. S/he looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
· BS/MS Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent
· Multiple new equipment design/installations
· Large manufacturing lines implementation
· Experience with industrial engineering concepts—such as line balancing and timing charts
· Good mechanical aptitude.
· Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
· Experience designing mechanical equipment, fixturing, and tooling in CAD (SolidWorks preferred, Catia is also a plus)
· Understanding of tolerance stack up
· Experience developing layouts in AutoCAD
· Understanding of manufacturing equipment safety systems (Safety PLCs, safety category requirements, robot safety, safety guarding, light curtains, LOTO, etc.)
· PLC controls experience (Allen Bradley, Siemens, and/or Beckhoff)
· Experience with MES and database system architecture and data tracking Python and/or MYSQL experience