- Full Time
Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Equipment Engineering & Controls Manager to manage a team of equipment engineers, controls engineers, test engineers, and technicians responsible for supporting production of our battery products. The team will be directly responsible for the performance and continuous improvement of equipment on the production line to drive improvements in safety, ergonomics, overall equipment efficiency, product yield, cost and cycle time through documented actions with clearly defined schedules and expected results.
The Battery is one of the most complex and challenging components designed and manufactured at Tesla. This is an exciting opportunity to build a world class manufacturing facility right here in the Bay Area. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly exciting products.
The Manager will lead by example and work closely with the engineers on the floor to solve problems as needed. They will provide technical guidance and explore new technologies to solve challenging problems with automation.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of building new teams and leading complex, large-scale production operations. They will work closely with department leaders to align operating strategies, KPIs, and project priorities to meet department goals. This is a cross-functional role that requires coordination between many different teams within Tesla.
- BS/MS or equivalent in science/engineering with prior experience in manufacturing; focus on automation is required (Ignition, Beckhoff, Rockwell, Fanuc)
- Exemplary track record of high impact contributions both as an individual contributor and in a management capacity. Minimum 8 years of manufacturing experience required, with at least four years managing an engineering team.
- Demonstrated experience leading discussions and resolving conflicts
- Ability to collaborate with all levels of engineering
- Demonstrated experience developing and driving a continuous OEE improvement roadmap and presenting the strategy to senior leadership
- Experience with automation and controls engineering, including PLC, is preferred
- Strong technical background in mechanical and electrical fundamentals
- Familiar with material joining techniques including fastening, welding, soldering, adhesive bonding
- Experience with data analysis and basic statistics a plus.
- Experience with failure analysis and/or problem solving methodologies (such as 4D, fishbone, and 5 whys)
- High proficiency in MS Office (especially Excel and Powerpoint)