The General Manager, Global Distribution Center will be part of the Service team which supports the distribution of parts for Service Centers of Tesla. The individual will be responsible for designing and developing inventory movement and storage systems from dock to storage and from storage to staging, for improving productivity and efficiency of operations, and for managing warehouse staff. The primary objective of the GDC Group is to implement an efficient receiving, warehouse, material handling, and conveyance solution to support the overall Service organization, while optimizing space, improving labor productivity, and creating a more ergonomic work environment for Tesla’s associates. This role will also focus on continuous improvement of operations and will be dynamic with frequent changes in scope and scale. This position will report to the Manager of the Global Distribution Campus.
• Design, develop, and implement solutions for dramatically improving material flows through the warehouse using Lean Principles. The design includes material arrival at docks through delivery to Service Center locations. The focus will be on developing innovative new solutions for warehousing that leverage lean manufacturing concepts.
• Ability to foster and develop a strong team of warehouse personnel through selective recruitment, thorough and consistent on-boarding process, training, and coaching, and identification and addressing of competency gaps within team. Management of team includes proactively planning for labor needs in light of production ramp up, communicating job expectations, performing employee performance and objectives reviews, and managing team in alignment of company policies and procedures.
• Ability to meet warehouse operations financial objectives by preparing budgets, forecasting requirements, planning for capital expenditures, securing company property and assets, and analyzing and resolving inventory variances.
• Capable of defining warehouse operations systems to include: developing processes for warehouse related activities, determining equipment needs and utilization, defining storage and material handling requirements, and ability to integrate and align physical processes with systematic processes.
• Drive improvements within warehouse material flow by planning layout and space requirements, analyzing and reviewing product flow, and evaluating and proposing new equipment options.
• Maintains safe work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures. It also requiring coaching and motivating team to proactively address potential safety issues and concerns.
• Support advanced trouble-shooting and improvement of existing warehouse management, inventory control, and material flow systems.
• Targeted goals include:
• Reduction in material handling waste.
• Reduction of in-house receiving lead-time.
• Significant improvement in labor efficiency.
• Optimized space utilization.
• Highly accurate part selection resulting in inventory accuracy levels above 99%.
• Maintain customer service through on-time Service deliveries.
• Minimum 4 year degree in related field such as Supply Chain, Industrial Engineering, or Business or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
• 5+ years of experience in manufacturing, supply chain and/or distribution & logistics.
• Minimum of 5 years in a Supervisory/Management role.
• Demonstrated excellent communication skills, including ability to express well-reasoned, independent thought. Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels.
• Proficient in lean manufacturing principles and adept at applying to warehouse operations.
• Demonstrated ability to be a resilient change agent capable of leading organization through paradigm shifts.
• Strong multitasking project skills with the ability to adapt to change in scope, time line, or focus without sacrificing execution.
• Strong knowledge of lean warehousing methodologies including sequencing, kitting, repack, one piece flow, etc.
• Capable of creating and maintaining metrics for operation & labor costs, KPIs, and inventory analytics.