Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Design Engineer to support our manufacturing engineers in the design to manufacture of proprietary parts and equipment within our mixing process.
This role will help contribute to the creation of parts, complete assemblies, and the management of complex 3D CAD machine and factory models in our PDM systems across multiple sites globally. As we build new factories and populate them with our proprietary mixing equipment, keeping CAD models updated with new developments is critical to the many internal groups depending on that information being correct. This role will also help manage the import and format conversion of CAD models from different vendors, ensuring top-level models are complete and free of errors.
Battery technology is at the heart of our company. This is an exciting opportunity to enable teams working directly on the central challenges of energy storage as we accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work with a highly motivated team on extremely challenging projects. Your work in this role will help pave the way for rapid iteration and expansion of our battery manufacturing equipment.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of combined experience in CAD-based mechanical design and CAD data management.
- Advanced user of SolidWorks, SolidWorks PDM Pro. Basic competence in CATIA and Autodesk Inventor and their associated PDM applications.
- Proficient in finite analysis for both structural and thermal modeling
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Ability to write and test scripts for automation of CAD tasks.
- Proactive, quick learning, and capable of handling tasks independently.
- Structured thinking and problem-solving abilities.
Desired Additional Experience
- Expertise in any of the many available CAD design and visualization platforms and product families (NX, Creo, Navisworks, AutoCAD, etc.).
- Familiarity with a wide range of drafting standards apart from mechanical design (e.g., P&ID, facilities layouts, cable routing, electrical diagrams, etc.).
- Exposure to common uses of both PLM and PDM systems in a setting of high-volume manufacturing.
- Experience with designing mixing or powder convey equipment, large continuous or batch processes, food or chemical powders, large liquid process plants.
What we offer:
You will be working in our state-of-the-art Gigafactory where you’ll solve the world’s most interesting problems with the best and brightest people who share a passion to change the world. Tesla’s compensation package includes a competitive salary and Tesla shares or bonuses. Typical benefits that we provide are 30 vacation days, an occupational pension, employee life and disability insurances, free EV charging, product discounts and various transportation benefits.