Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg marks a defining moment in Europe for Tesla’s mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Here we will launch revolutionary products on a massive scale, using extraordinary speed, innovation and efficiency. Our employees will ensure that we achieve our goals, and we welcome you to help us write the next chapter of our success story.
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated CAD Engineer to help with the management of complex 3D CAD machine models in our PDM systems across multiple sites globally. As we build new factories and populate them with our proprietary battery electrode manufacturing equipment, keeping CAD models updated with new developments is critical to the many internal groups depending on that information being correct. This role will help manage the import and format conversion of CAD models from different vendors, ensuring top-level models are complete and free of errors.
Battery technology is at the heart of our company. This is an exciting opportunity to enable teams working directly on the central challenges of energy storage as we accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work with a highly motivated team on extremely challenging projects. Your work in this role will help pave the way for rapid iteration and expansion of our battery manufacturing equipment.
- Embed with our design and equipment teams to understand the scope and priority of models requiring maintenance.
- Work with our broader CAD management team to understand current policies and procedures and their limits.
- Work with outside vendors to coordinate versioning, import, and conversion of their CAD models from vendor formats to our internal common format.
- Help maintain current versions of key top-level models across all sites globally, ensuring critical models are always up to date.
- Help identify potential for automation of CAD data exchange, including import, storage, and format conversion.
- Work with designers to simplify their models and be able to simplify them directly when designers’ bandwidth is limited.
- Help organize periodic training sessions for users to standardize procedures and best practices.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of combined experience in CAD-based mechanical design and CAD data management.
- Advanced user of SolidWorks and SolidWorks PDM Pro. Basic competence in CATIA and Autodesk Inventor and their associated PDM applications.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure with users who may have trouble communicating (e.g., language barrier, separation by multiple time zones, inexperience, etc.).
- Ability to write and test scripts for automation of CAD tasks.
- Proactive, quick learning, and capable of handling tasks independently.
- Structured thinking and problem-solving abilities.
Desired Additional Experience
- Expertise in any of the many available CAD design and visualization platforms and product families (NX, Creo, Navisworks, AutoCAD, etc.).
- Familiarity with a wide range of drafting standards apart from mechanical design (e.g., P&ID, facilities layouts, cable routing, electrical diagrams, etc.).
- Exposure to common uses of both PLM and PDM systems in a setting of high-volume manufacturing.
What we offer:
You will be working in our state-of-the-art Gigafactory where you’ll solve the world’s most interesting problems with the best and brightest people who share a passion to change the world. Tesla’s compensation package includes competitive salary and Tesla shares or bonuses. Typical benefits that are offered are a pension program, 30 vacation days, employee insurances, free EV charging stations and public commuting support.