Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Senior Counsel, Privacy role will provide European and global data privacy legal counsel and services. You will have the opportunity to serve as a company-wide European data privacy subject matter expert and a trusted resource for internal business clients across Rivian. Join Rivian, as we grow rapidly and work collaboratively with amazing teams such as Data Privacy, Data Security, Information Technology and other key stakeholders to further Rivian’s data privacy goals and objectives.
- Provide European and global legal support to business units and for key privacy operational tasks, which includes advising on new products and services, data governance activities, Privacy Impact Assessments/Data Protection Impact Assessments, and consumer data requests/data subject access requests.
- Draft employee, customer, and third-party privacy policies, disclosures, notices, and other consumer facing materials.
- Draft and negotiate data transfer and data processing agreements.
- Develop data privacy playbooks, contractual templates, and related resources for Rivian teams.
- Partner with product teams to provide highly responsive global data privacy counsel and further privacy by design principles and other best practices.
- Assist with developing and presenting data privacy training and other communications aimed at ensuring awareness, understanding and compliance with Rivian’s data privacy obligations.
- Provide transactional support for agreements involving data sharing or other data privacy legal impacts.
- Advise on European data breach notification laws and response activities.
- Advise on new and emerging legal and regulatory developments including identifying potential impacts on Rivian products and services.
- Develop strong partnerships with internal business clients across Rivian to proactively address issues and further Rivian’s privacy objectives.
- Increase employee awareness, actively promote the importance of data privacy throughout the entire organization.
- Act as Data Protection Officer for the EU, manage all activities of the DPO and make all registrations and filings.
- 6-10 years of legal experience focused on data privacy matters
- Academic background in Legal
- Experience advising multinational, complex fast-growing global organizations, preferably involving technology and advanced mobility on core data privacy principles and laws
- Experience drafting data privacy addendums, data transfer agreements, policies, notices, disclosures, and other external facing materials
- Strong working knowledge of GDPR and other key data privacy laws
- Experience drafting, negotiating, and advising on technology transactions with an emphasis on data
- Knowledge of evolving data privacy regulatory environment with experience spotting emerging trends and new and evolving issues
- Ability to work well independently and in a team in a dynamic, rapidly changing workplace
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully work with all levels of the organization
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- CIPP Certification a plus
- Fluent in written and oral English
- Strong analytical ability and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high stress, team environment
- Ability to travel, as required
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.