Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
As the Lead Support Engineer, Fleet Operations, you will be responsible for supporting a 24/7 operations team function that will maintain multi-cellular and multi-access connectivity to Rivian vehicles, thereby allowing robust connectivity for not only today’s adventures but tomorrow’s as well. Specifically, this role will proactively monitor, triage, and support fleet management software spanning telematics, vehicle health, service, purchasing, connectivity and OTA (Over-the-Air) on Rivian vehicles and chargers issues across Rivian’s global fleet, escalate issues/outages to the appropriate internal/external team and/or carrier, and assist in the validation of new features/integrations that enable Rivian to execute on our core fleet services. This role is situated meaningfully with cross-functional visibility and is a ground floor opportunity to revolutionize the connected car segment with an always connected vehicle that uploads thousands of signals every minute.
- Ensure robust connectivity for all consumer/commercial vehicles and charger deployments by proactively monitoring connectivity and anomalies across Rivian’s global fleet to remotely resolve issues.
- Manage, provide technical guidance and mentorship to the team of Tier-3 Support Engineers which ensures Connectivity/OTA for all consumer/commercial vehicles and charger deployments.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in regard to connectivity/OTA on Rivian vehicles and chargers and provide education to internal Rivian teams on Tier 1 and Tier 2 support and diagnostics.
- Manage/Operate a Tier 3 support desk that can receive connectivity/OTA/Fleet escalations from multiple teams such as service centers, engineering, and customer experience centers.
- Promptly triage, resolve, or escalate connectivity issues to engineering and/or the carrier. Track the progress of escalated issues to ensure SLA’s are met and that Rivian is providing the best possible experience to the vehicle owner.
- Track the progress of OTA campaigns across Rivian’s global fleet and promptly triage/resolve failed software updates.
- Work cross-functionally with product management, digital technology, and vehicle engineering to onboard new carriers and validate new integrations/features prior to releasing to production.
- Responsible for predicting, testing and validating connectivity, OTA and vehicle telematics solutions, purchasing, fleet management application support end to end in partnership with Rivian Engineering, vendors, and network operators.
- Monitor the cellular configuration of a vehicle through its entire lifecycle, track the progress of eSIM swaps, and manually update the cellular configuration of vehicles when necessary.
- Proactively monitor, publish and communicate carrier network outages, known issues, service bulletins, and work with the appropriate resources to resolve carrier issues. Identify trending issues early and proactively escalate internally.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or another related field.
- 7+ years working as technical support engineer/escalation lead or network operations within the IoT, fleet management/ wireless/networking, or connected car/EV industries.
- Experience with IoT solutions that involve complex OTA campaigns, fleet management software lifecycle management, API/network integrations with various cell carriers/connectivity management platforms, and eSIM providers.
- Experience with various cellular & Wi-Fi technology components such as 4G/5G, Wi-Fi connectivity management, and Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Managed a small team or acted in the capacity of a team/tech lead with direct reports.
- Available to meet the requirements of 24×7 support operations including readiness for shift work/on-call support during weekend, post business hours and holidays as scheduled.
- Experience and willingness to provide multi-channel support through Phone, Web, E-mail and Chat.
- Self-motivated with the ability to dive right in, develop effective processes, and work to ensure our vehicles remain connected.
- Strong cross-functional experience with engineering, customer support, design and product management.
- Confidence and ability to lead troubleshooting and escalation efforts with internal teams and third party service providers.
- Strong business and technical acumen with the ability to translate between the two.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.