Polestar is an electric performance brand, determined to improve the society we live in. Our focus is on uncompromised design and technology. We constantly redefine the norm and challenge ourselves to shine. Passion and emotion drive us, electricity and innovation drive our cars. Our products are excellent, efficient and entertaining.
In Polestar’s future, there is no room for shortcuts, excuses or compromises. We are all in, dedicated on our ambition. Guiding our industry forward through pure, progressive performance.
Due to aggressive growth plans Polestar is currently looking to recruit a Senior Project Engineer working within the team that manages Non-Painted Plastics, Brackets and Castings
Let us describe the challenge we offer
We are looking for a proactive, experienced design/CAD engineer to join our exteriors team at Polestar UK. You’ll be a part of the non-painted plastics, brackets and castings team, based in Coventry UK, working on an exciting future programme. Travel between our UK sites would be expected, with potential of business travel in EU and China on occasion.
What you’ll do
In this role, you will be part of a team responsible for all non-painted plastics parts which include, but are not limited to, Plenums/Leaf screens, Active Grille Shutters (AGS), Various trims and finishers, under-bonnet finishers (commonly referred to as a frunk (front Trunk)), under-body including under trays and aero aids, wheel arch liners (WAL’s) and NVH dampening components across the vehicle, possibly across a number of car programs, along with stamped and folded brackets which can include welding and Self Piercing Riveting (SPR) operations, alongside castings, which combine to bring all of the various attributes together on vehicle.
As senior Project engineer, you will own the day-to-day management of the components of the team, from initial conception, through to parts creation in the digital environment, and releasing, before moving to trial stages and physical parts creation, tracking and ensuring that each and every component meets the requirements set by the designers and milestones within the automotive framework of PPAP and PSW, on time and on budget.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring high quality planning and project focus is demonstrated, to ensure appropriate deadlines and milestones are met according to the master timing plan .
- Work closely with key suppliers who may be “Make to Print” or “Full-Service Providers” depending on the components, to deliver component to the right quality, cost and lead time as the required.
- Manage the release timing of the CAD package to suppliers.
- Previous experience would be advantageous to assist with considerations needed for planning and timing for tooling design, tool manufacture, trialling of parts, parts pedigree improvements, design changes and achievement of PSW in the following production methods: –
- Injection Moulding, Vacuum Forming, Compression Moulding, Castings, Brackets and stampings, Transport covers
- The various methods of manufacture will require knowledge of the limiting factors, and these affect timing, depending on the component and process, therefore knowledge of manufacturing processes for various polymer materials, Aluminium’s and Steels would be advantageous, although we would not expect a specialist in every medium, therefore your skill set would be put to use where it gives the most benefit to the team and company.
- Coordinate cross functional inputs/outputs for Styling, Package, Vehicle Integration, CAE, Test, Manufacturing, Service, Quality and Safety, Gauge Design and output, Measurement Studies including ISIR or PPIR reports assessment.
- Supporting RFI and RFQ and ESOW processes, with previous experience and knowledge of tooling and parts costs would be advantageous.
- Support requirements for Design Change where required including in depth analysis and justifications.
- Support development of best-in-class Project Engineering activities, including inputs into: –
- Design Rules or Standards, Design Failure Mode Effects (DFMEAs), SCA/SCSS documentation, Development of timing plans for your components that suit whole vehicle timing and milestones, Gauge and Measurement requirements, Coordinate approval of components through product lifecycle milestones, including dimensional and aesthetic requirements, which involve liaison with departments such as Colour Materials and Finish
- Supplier and internal team management throughout the product lifecycle.
Who you are
- Flexible, enthusiastic individual who is self-motivated and able to work well under own initiative
- Degree qualified or equivalent preferred
- Minimum of 5 years relevant automotive experience
- A working knowledge of TCE, CATIA, Viz Mock-up experience preferred, but not essential
- Good understanding of CAD methodology and best practice, including GD&T and 3D PMI
- Familiar with regulations and requirements affecting specific components and materials
- Good working knowledge of standard Product Creation and Delivery Milestones
- Good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Able to work on site or remotely using Teams/Zoom or other collaboration tools
- Clear and confident communicator, able to work in English with suppliers and colleagues globally
- Commercial awareness in relation to supplier manufacturing techniques
Is this you? If you believe you have what it takes to work at the heart of automotive innovation, then we look forward to reviewing your application.
At Polestar, the sky is not the limit.