- Full Time
People at Polestar
We know that a change is needed. We also know that each one of us can help bring about that change. Our commitment to becoming climate-neutral by 2040 is just as important to us as being inclusive, diverse, and innovative. Together, we are creating, collaborating and experimenting to usher in a new era of sustainable mobility.
We are an electric performance brand, determined to improve the society we live in.
At Polestar UK, we believe that maximising the use of virtual tools is the most cost-effective and efficient route to ensuring accurate and robust design & engineering data. Our aim is to interrogate the designs thoroughly in the virtual world to:
- Minimise the dependence on expensive and time-consuming physical prototypes
- Ensure designs are compatible, complete, robust and optimal prior to committing production tooling
- Improve time-to-market and minimise late design change
- Ensure manufacturing, attribute and quality targets are met by design & engineering
The Digital Vehicle Series is a process of successive virtual builds and analysis loops of full vehicle Engineering Data (CAD, Non-Geometric Data and Models) as a technique for achieving the above.
We are looking for a Digital Vehicle Engineer to join our team at Polestar UK and play an important role in delivering our future vehicles.
Role Description / Key Objectives and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Digital Vehicle Engineer and working closely with Engineers across R&D and Manufacturing the Digital Vehicle Engineer is responsible for;
- Defining, setting up and running the Digital Vehicle Series, applying all the rigour and urgency normally seen in physical pre-production builds
- Defining data submission milestones & data quality targets, coordinating data freeze points, conducting virtual build reviews, logging issues, managing the resolution, and organising report out events
- Conduct virtual builds to assess Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly (DFM/DFA) suitability
- Conduct flight path, ergonomic and accessibility assessments
- Perform Clash/Clearance checks on parts to verify compatibility prior to committing to prototype/production tooling
- Researching and implementing new virtual tools & methods that provide high value to the vehicle program.
- Help document new and existing process to help train and share bet practice to others within the business
Overall, the Digital Vehicle Engineer will form a close working relationship with Vehicle Integration and multiple Function Groups to take a shared ownership of completing key vehicle development objectives.
Education & Experience
- A Design or Engineering Degree (Other recognised engineering qualifications with relevant industry experience will also be considered).
- Experience working in an automotive OEM or similar industry
- Thorough understanding of virtual tools (CAD, PLM, CAE etc)
- Catia & Teamcenter Visualization preferred
- Excellent technical verbal and written communication skills
- Deep understanding in the process of developing, manufacturing, and testing of vehicles
- Experience of setting up and running Digital / Virtual series (ideally in an OEM environment)
- Experience of working with virtual/augmented/mixed reality tools
- Ability to create basic scripts or applications in Python or other programming languages
- Knowledge of JIRA or similar cloud-based workflow management software
Is this you? If you believe you have what it takes to work at the heart of automotive innovation, then we look forward to reviewing your application.
At Polestar, the sky is not the limit.