At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Here at Lyft, Data is the only way we make decisions. It is the core of our business, helping us create a transportation experience for our customers and providing insights into the effectiveness of our product launch & features.
As a Data Engineer at Lyft, you will be a part of an early stage team that builds the data transport, collection, and storage, and exposes services that make data a first-class citizen at Lyft. We are looking for a Data Engineer to build a scalable data platform. You'll have ownership of our core data pipeline that powers Lyft’s top line metrics; You will also use data expertise to help evolve data models in several components of the data stack; You will help architect, building, and launching scalable data pipelines to support Lyft’s growing data processing and analytics needs. Your efforts will allow access to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of Lyft data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Data Science, Marketplace and many others.
You will report to a Data Engineering Manager.
- Work across teams to gather requirements and drive alignment on project goals
- Build and own the roadmap for Lyft’s Central Data team
- Provide technical leadership to the team for executing projects within scope, time & quality constraints
- Evangelize best practices within the team through tech talks, demos, show ‘n tells etc
- Take initiative and craft projects to improve customer experience & satisfaction by resolving long standing problems or by building important user facing features
- Owner of the core company data pipeline, responsible for scaling up data processing flow to meet the rapid data growth at Lyft
- Evolve data model and data schema based on business and engineering needs
- Implement systems tracking data quality and consistency
- Develop tools supporting self-service data pipeline management (ETL)
- Design and develop framework to harden Lyft’s data infrastructure, in continue meeting regulatory complianceSQL and MapReduce job tuning to improve data processing performance
- 6+ years of relevant professional experience
- Mentoring junior engineers through code reviews and project task breakdown, scoping and sequencing
- Experience with Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase, Parquet)
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SqlServer, Oracle)
- Good understanding of SQL Engine and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
- Strong skills in scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- 1+ years of experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, UC4)
- Comfortable working directly with data analytics to bridge Lyft's business goals with data engineering
- Extended health and dental coverage options, along with life insurance and disability benefits
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- Access to a Health Care Savings Account
- In addition to provincial observed holidays, team members get 15 days paid time off, with an additional day for each year of service
- 4 Floating Holidays each calendar year prorated based off of date of hire
- 10 paid sick days per year regardless of province
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
Lyft proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft believes that every person has a right to equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, pardoned record of offences, or any other basis protected by applicable law or by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Accommodation for persons with disabilities will be provided upon request in accordance with applicable law during the application and hiring process. Please contact your recruiter now if you wish to make such a request.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and up to date against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated and up to date means an employee has: 1) received all recommended doses in a primary series of COVID-19 vaccine; and 2) either has received a booster dose or is not yet eligible to receive a booster dose but will do so when eligible. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.