Karma Automotive, founded in 2014, is a southern California based producer of luxury electric vehicles. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Karma sells vehicles via its dealer network in North America, Europe, South America and the Middle East. Karma’s production facility (referred to as Karma's Innovation and Customization Center) is located in Moreno Valley, CA and offers world-class customization, and manufacturing services along with electrification platforms. Karma’s flagship vehicle, the Revero® GT, was awarded Green Car Journal’s 2020 Luxury Green Car of the Year™. In 2021 Karma announced the GS-6 Series which include an extended-range series hybrid EV and their first-ever all-electric vehicle. Every Karma vehicle is created with unparalleled individual care and craftsmanship and combines leading technology with a luxury experience.
The Sr. System Engineering – Thermal Systems is responsible for the design, development and validation of the vehicle thermal management systems including Cabin, powertrain as well as battery packs. This Individual may be asked to support special project needs outside this scope to meet program objectives as required.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Develop advanced thermal system for EV including heat pump system and waste heat recovery technologies
- Develop thermal systems including cabin comfort (HVAC), Powertrain and battery thermal management systems
- Optimize vehicle level thermal system design with using thermal fluid analytical tool (1-D)
- Develop and release systems level requirements based on the vehicle performance target, support DRE to develop component level technical requirements
- Develop and maintain vehicle level Design Validation Plan, Reports (DVP&R), Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) reports for Thermal Systems
- Lead vehicle level thermal validation tests activity including thermal control strategies
- Works with cross functional teams to ensure all interfacing components are compliant with vehicle and subsystem technical specifications and requirements.
Character traits and related responsibility:
- Works with all levels of management and cross-functional leaders as required.
- Demonstrated self-initiator with ability to identify and prioritize problems, perform research unprompted, recommend solutions, negotiate with key stake holders, and execute contingency plans with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
- Strong teamwork skills. Able to develop consensus, move the program forward, and develop win-win situations.
- Work with Tier 1 suppliers to develop the component meeting Karma technical requirement and program timing as required
- Other duties, as assigned.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, prefer master.
- 3-years’ experience in Automotive thermal management system development field (Tier 1 or OEM).
- Strong understanding in thermal system development including refrigerant loop and heat pump technology
- Experience in hybrid / EV thermal system as well as key thermal component development
- Experience in CAE/CFD simulation tools, methods, and processes in the field of thermal and aerothermal analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experienced in 3D Computer Aided Design System Catia V5 is a plus
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee should have the:
- Ability to frequently use or operate a computer, mouse and/or other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Ability to frequently use hand(s) for repetitive actions (grasping and fine manipulation)
- Ability to frequently walk or move – to regularly move about inside the office
- Ability to frequently see or detect, identify, recognize, or assess surroundings while in the office
- Ability to occasionally bend, kneel, crouch, turn, and stoop.
- Ability to frequently sit or be stationary for extended continuous periods of time.
- Ability to stand for occasionally periods of time.
- Ability to safely climb ladders, stairs, and ramps occasionally
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or push/pull up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) correctly most of the day
- Driving company vehicles occasionally
- Travel up to 25%
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing their job in an indoor office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may spend approximately 60% (excluding breaks and meal periods) of time in an office environment and 40% of the time in the non-office setting (garage and/or laboratory setting). When working in the non-office setting, it requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), including (but not limited to) safety shoes (unless staying outside of the working areas), bump caps, and/or safety goggles frequently.
NO Third parties. Principals only please.
Join Karma as we transform transportation and mobility with innovative teamwork.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.