Karma Automotive, founded in 2014, is a southern California based producer of luxury electric vehicles. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Karma sells vehicles via its dealer network in North America, Europe, South America and the Middle East. Karma’s production facility (referred to as Karma's Innovation and Customization Center) is located in Moreno Valley, CA and offers world-class customization, and manufacturing services along with electrification platforms. Karma’s flagship vehicle, the Revero® GT, was awarded Green Car Journal’s 2020 Luxury Green Car of the Year™. In 2021 Karma announced the GS-6 Series which include an extended-range series hybrid EV and their first-ever all-electric vehicle. Every Karma vehicle is created with unparalleled individual care and craftsmanship and combines leading technology with a luxury experience.
KARMA Automotive is looking for an exceptionally talented Sr. Engineer – Supplier Quality to support the monitoring and development of KARMA suppliers. The ideal candidate will have Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) experience and have a proven track record of executing the AIAG Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) deliverables. The person in this role will need to be able to assess supplier readiness to support program launch, PPAP execution, and then develop appropriate countermeasures to ensure success. Up to 90% travel.
Salary Range: $107,000 – $127,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant, as well as internal and external equity.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Conduct onsite supplier assessment for potential new suppliers to KARMA. Assess supplier manufacturing facilities and determine if supplier is capable of meeting KARMA technical, manufacturing, and quality requirements.
- Conduct onsite supplier production readiness assessments. Review and approve supplier manufacturing, tooling, and quality plans for new component parts and assemblies.
- Conduct APQP meetings with suppliers. Assure supplier understanding and compliance with APQP processes, product PPAP submission, and part approval requirements. Drive supplier PPAP timing plans and submission and approval dates to ensure adherence/compliance to program timing. Ensure flawless launch execution.
- Monitor supplier performance to program deliverables and part quality. Develop and implement countermeasures as needed.
- Provide Supplier Quality support to all KARMA functional team members, but specifically to Purchasing, Product Engineering, and Manufacturing.
- Implement and monitor supplier part qualification and certification processes.
- Determine root cause of supplier manufacturing problems and implement timely, effective, and efficient quality resolutions.
- Initiates and implements quality improvement activities as appropriate (e.g., Kaizen, Six Sigma) to raise the performance of the company’s product lines.
- Develop continuous improvement plans as appropriate.
- Improve quality performance of suppliers by conducting onsite workshops at supplier locations, provide technical assistance in developing robust manufacturing and quality systems, or other technical support as required.
- Provide technical assistance during supplier launch, change-over, and ongoing production activities.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge based requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Manufacturing/Quality.
- 3+ years' OEM or Tier 1 experience in automotive.
- Working knowledge of AAR and Safety Critical Requirements.
- 3+ years Leading APQP Projects.
- 3+ years PPAP execution.
- Up to 90% travel required.
- Candidate must be able to travel internationally with valid passport for up to 12 months from the date of hire.
- Fluent with common MS office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- IATF 16949, ISO 9001:2105 auditing experience desired.
- ASQ certification preferred.
- Black Belt in Six Sigma preferred
- Knowledge of automotive quality systems (or similar), GD&T and model based-inspection methods, inspection fixture and gage design, CMM inspection methods
- Lean/Quality production system proficiency with demonstrated achievements
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the following areas: Interior and Exterior.
Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee should have the:
- Ability to frequently use or operate a computer, mouse and/or other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Ability to frequently use hand(s) for repetitive actions (grasping and fine manipulation).
- Ability to frequently walk or move – to regularly move about inside the office.
- Ability to frequently see or detect, identify, recognize, or assess surroundings while in the office.
- Ability to occasionally bend, kneel, crouch, turn, and stoop.
- Ability to frequently sit or be stationary for extended continuous periods of time.
- Ability to stand for occasional periods of time.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or push/pull up to 20 pounds.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing their job in an indoor office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may spend 100% (excluding breaks and meal periods) of time in an office environment.
NO Third parties. Principals only please.
Join Karma as we transform transportation and mobility with innovative teamwork.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.