- Full Time
Karma Automotive, founded in 2014, is a southern California based producer of luxury electric vehicles. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Karma sells vehicles via its dealer network in North America, Europe, South America and the Middle East. Karma’s production facility (referred to as Karma's Innovation and Customization Center) is located in Moreno Valley, CA and offers world-class customization, and manufacturing services along with electrification platforms. Karma’s flagship vehicle, the Revero® GT, was awarded Green Car Journal’s 2020 Luxury Green Car of the Year™. In 2021 Karma announced the GS-6 Series which include an extended-range series hybrid EV and their first-ever all-electric vehicle. Every Karma vehicle is created with unparalleled individual care and craftsmanship and combines leading technology with a luxury experience.
The Director, Regulatory Affair & Global Certification will lead, manage, coordinate and administer various aspects of vehicle level, system, and component certifications for all designated markets, which feed into the overall vehicle certification process. This position will oversee and manage direct Technical Specialists and their objects in the certification process. Occasional travel to suppliers and test facilities (labs, proving grounds, etc.) is required.
Salary Range: $200,000 – $234,700 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant, as well as internal and external equity.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Lead direction in vehicle, system, and component homologation and certification activities.
- Work with the cross-functional groups to guide and assess system and components designs for global compliance.
- Communicate with government agencies for US/EU/China/GCC.
- Lead Technical Specialist to conduct data acquisition for certification documentation and label preparation and read and understand engineering test reports and other technical documentation used to present for certification.
- Support overall certification testing for all designated markets.
- Anticipate and develop contingency plans in order to address and mitigate risk certification and execution risk.
- Responsible for regulations, including requirements and test procedure, for all designated markets and update to team regularly.
- Work with SQA/Quality/Manufacturing to meet Europe CE and China CCC marking requirements.
- Take initiative to search for, review, and understand latest regulations and proposed regulations, and parlay to the respective design and engineering groups.
- Lead DREs (Design Release Engineers) in the development of optimized designs for global homologation and certification approval, with expert input to ensure compliance.
- Work with internal groups and suppliers to obtain correct and final data.
- Work with cross-functional groups to achieve EU/CCC system and component certifications.
- Coordinate with teams, test vehicle coordinator, and test facilities for cross-functional optimization of resources in developing and conducting test plan.
- Propose and negotiate alternate plans as issues arise.
- Review the regulatory requirements daily and give feedback to design team.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace/Automotive Engineering degree or equivalent proven experience.
- 15+ years of experience with automotive regulatory/certification experiences.
- A strong understanding of regulations pertaining to vehicle safety and emission.
- Successful experience with certification/homologation for US/EU/China/GCC markets. Electric vehicle experience a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to find, read, and interpret regulations, test reports, CAD drawings, and technical descriptions.
- Capable of leading DRE and test engineers as well as suppliers.
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, Project, and PowerPoint.
- CATIA experience preferred.
- Must have valid passport.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally may be requested.
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee should have the:
- Ability to frequently use or operate a computer, mouse and/or other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Ability to frequently use hand(s) for repetitive actions (grasping and fine manipulation).
- Ability to frequently walk or move – to regularly move about inside the office.
- Ability to frequently see or detect, identify, recognize, or assess surroundings while in the office.
- Ability to occasionally bend, kneel, crouch, turn, and stoop.
- Ability to frequently sit or be stationary for extended continuous periods of time.
- Ability to stand for occasionally periods of time.
- Ability to safely climb ladders, stairs, and ramps occasionally.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or push/pull up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) correctly most of the day.
- Driving company vehicles occasionally.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing their job in an indoor office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may spend approximately 60% (excluding breaks and meal periods) of time in an office environment and 40% of the time in the non-office setting (garage and/or laboratory setting). When working in the non-office setting, it requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), including (but not limited to) safety shoes (unless staying outside of the working areas), bump caps, and/or safety goggles frequently.
NO Third parties. Principals only please.
Join Karma as we transform transportation and mobility with innovative teamwork.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.