We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
We are looking for a talented hardware technical leader to work with the architecture and systems engineering team to define and architect the high performance and high availability compute system in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in technical leaders who possess deep technical skills and understand the tradeoff between the different architecture and component selection options. This position will connect the dots between Systems Requirements and Design teams, shield the design team from distractions, provide them with clear requirements and work with the design team to define the high level implementation details.
What you’ll be doing:
Organize and lead multi-functional collaboration efforts with Architecture, Systems, Design Engineering, Embedded Systems, Test Engineering, GM Vehicle Teams, and Manufacturing to ensure full coverage in requirements and features
Gather requirements, studying high level designs and turning them into smaller building blocks to bring the hardware up and integrate the blocks into a bigger system.
Drive best practices within the team and create tools which encourage their use across the organization
Create and implement technical roadmaps for the team while promoting (and living) a healthy and collaborative team culture based on Cruise values. Anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
Demonstrate full ownership of assigned system/component requirements and high level implementation details.
Work along with other Tech Leads, Product Managers, and Engineering Managers. Define, advocate, and implement best practices and design standards for the team.
What you must have:
BS or MS in Electrical or Electronics or Computer Science engineering or a related field
10+ Years or overall experience in hardware architecture and system level ownership for high performance, high availability systems
Extensive knowledge in CPU/GPU architecture including ARM, MIPS and/or x86, NVIDIA
Strong knowledge in EE fundamentals and experience designing high reliability and safety critical electronics hardware
Proven success in developing electrical architectures and execution
Experience with designs involving high speed interfaces such as DDR, LPDDR, PCIe, Ethernet
Mix of hands-on skills and management experience in mission-critical product development environments
Data driven decision making ability
Strong organizational and communication skills, willingness to learn and confront technical challenges
Ability to learn quickly, starting with little information and quickly becoming an expert in your domain
Experience in ASIL B/D design implementations
Experience with custom SoC Design and Development
Leadership experience in hardware bring up and software integration
Experience in EMI/EMC testing methods, root causing issues
The salary range for this position is $170,000 – 250,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.