We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Role:
The Privacy Engineering & Data Protection team aims to make Cruise a leader in self-driving consumer privacy. Cruise launched its self-driving ridehail service earlier in 2022, and we are quickly scaling; this an opportunity to set the direction for privacy & data security at a company in its early stages of commercialization!
We are seeking candidates with software engineering chops, eager to learn about security & privacy, and excited to be on the cutting edge of self-driving technology. This Software Engineer will be working with Privacy Engineers, Security Engineers, and teams across the company to implement privacy requirements & increase the security and privacy of Cruise infrastructure.
We’re looking for someone who’s comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies to maintain user trust. We need your skills and passion to make it happen. Candidates could work in the office (if SF- or Seattle-based) or remotely.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with teams throughout the company to implement privacy requirements for their systems/applications. For example, a team may need to securely transfer data to a 3rd party on an ongoing basis, or may need to run a daily query on a dataset and only gain access to the aggregate results.
- Working with Detection & Response to mature privacy-related detections and alerts. Embedding with Detection Engineers, you’ll be writing detections so Privacy Engineering is alerted to anomalous activity that may impact privacy & security.
Working with Privacy Engineers to strengthen the security of Cruise infrastructure. For example, we may be looking for your support in standing up secure datasets with restricted access, strengthening our data transfer tooling, and standing up infrastructure to tag data in our databases.
What you must have:
What you must have:
- Excited to be on the cutting edge of data security & privacy problems. Motivated to protect individuals’ privacy (does not need to have experience with privacy or security).
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a similar technical field or equivalent practical experience. At least 2 years working experience as a software engineer or software developer or in a related field.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Familiarity with other languages or interest in learning (e.g., Go, C++).
- Proficiency writing SQL queries & understanding of modern data warehousing.
- Code maintenance and review experience in one or more general purpose languages.
- Experience with the software development lifecycle.
- Perseverance and negotiation skills with a track record of achieving good user outcomes.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across subject areas (e.g. engineering, legal, policy).
- Candidates must have the ability to maintain and report against a work plan, and provide updates and status reports given scope and objective
- Experience with Security & Privacy.
- Experience writing detections & alerts.
- Familiarity with privacy laws, regulations, standards, and best practices such as CCPA, GDPR, and ISO 27701.
- Experience with technical approaches to managing privacy risk.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.