We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
Cruise is looking for Sr. Software Engineer, ML Deployment Tools to help us build tools and workflows that fully automate ML deployment at Cruise. Our ML deployment process maps models developed in high level ML frameworks (e.g. PyTorch) to binaries optimized for the resource constrained heterogeneous compute platforms on our cars. This is a unique opportunity to build tools that play a significantly visible role in commercial scaling of AV products.!
In this position, you will be working closely with AV ML engineering teams such as perception/prediction/planning & controls as customers of your tools. You will also be working closely with our ML compiler team to implement application/tool specific passes in the compiler infrastructure, and contribute to building tools used in the model deployment process – such as linters, debuggers, performance models, parity checkers etc..
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work contributing to building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Analyze, understand and articulate the engineering requirements of preparing high level ML models (PyTorch) for predictable, high quality AV stack integration and deployment.
- Introduce innovative tools and techniques into our ML deployment workflow.
- Design and implement highly reliable, maintainable, extensible, scalable software components that can be released into production.
- Participate and lead in full SDLC and standard software engineering practices, including testing and root-causing issues across the full software stack (including 3P and in-house tools)
- Lead discussions with 3P vendors (incl. open source communities and closed source support teams) to get issues resolved and to get new enhancements per Cruise roadmap priorities.
What you must have:
- Strong expertise in writing production quality C++ code
- You are comfortable and experienced in software development life cycle – coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- You have experience with deep learning and deep learning frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow, etc) and software stack (e.g., TensorRT, MLIR, TVM, XLA etc).
- You have a BS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent, in industry experience
- 1-2 years experience in writing compiler passes (such as PyTorch, Onnx, MLIR, LLVM etc)
- 2+ years of experience in developing, maintaining and supporting tool developer APIs across different tool applications.
- Experience in design review and merging into community maintained open source code.
- Thrive in a fast paced environment
- Able to work in a diverse, cross-collaborative environment
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.