We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Role:
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack is a complex workload that includes compute and data intensive functions within perception, prediction, planning and control. This role is within the ML Accelerators (MLA) team which is responsible for maintaining and optimizing the software stack for real-time, on-road performance. This means optimal workload mapping onto a complex, resource-constrained hardware, co-architecting the HW platform with HW engineers and building platforms and tools for AI deployment and performance profiling, diagnosis and optimizations that can be employed by AV engineers (from perception, prediction, planning and controls). MLA engineers work in close collaboration with AV engineers throughout the lifecycle of creating new AV features which is critical to the success of our mission.
In this role, you will be collaborating closely with different AV Engineering teams (e.g. Perception, Prediction, Planning, Localization, SW Platform) to design, develop and maintain AV performance testing infrastructure; improving its fidelity, performance reliability, and coverage. The performance testing platform evolves simultaneously with the AV compute platform counterpart and a key responsibility will be to contribute to future custom compute AV hardware platforms through early software preparation.
If you're interested in building performance platforms targeting heterogeneous custom compute systems, and want to test your skills with real-world (and practical) applications in the autonomous vehicle domain, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Design and implement a hardware-in-the-loop performance testing platform targeting future custom compute AV hardware
- Deliver a productionized performance testing platform with high fidelity and throughput
- Work with Infrastructure and Hardware teams to identify and solve reliability and scalability challenges
- Help educate customers and users about performance testing to promote performance-driven development culture
What you must have:
- 2+ years of professional experience in software design and engineering
- Strong expertise in writing production quality Python/C++ code
- Experience contributing to large scale infrastructure projects
- Experience with building infrastructure to evaluate performance of complex software systems on dedicated hardware
- Extensive experience with software development in Linux and using its system tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Comfortable and experienced in software development lifecycle – coding, debugging, optimization, testing, integration
- Experience with AV technology stacks
- Experience with Data science and statistics
- Experience working with customer focused production infrastructure
- Previous experience building, or working on, HIL test platforms
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.