We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Legal Organization:
Cruise is creating a new-to-the-world service and a world-changing category of autonomous vehicle mobility. On the legal side, the rules are being written now, and we’re the team charged with helping guide the company on legal and risk considerations as we unlock the future. We’re a collegial group in which every role matters, and you’ll have an impact on high stakes decisions, working with technical and development teams solving some of the hardest engineering challenges of our generation. This position will report to our Senior Supervising Counsel, Enterprise Safety, Regulatory and Compliance.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Advise on applicable AV regulations at the local, state, federal and international levels.
- Advise on federal and state vehicle regulations that impact AVs.
- Support AV testing, ridehailing and/or delivery teams in meeting their objectives and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Analyze and communicate regulatory requirements for market entry.
- Review and draft legal documents and advise employees on legal and regulatory issues related to vendors, projects, and marketing.
- Provide legal counsel for on-road safety initiatives.
- Understand the business environment and use analytical skills and experience to set regulatory priorities, and recommend options to minimize regulatory risk while meeting business objectives.
- Advice and counsel to business decision makers on strategic issues with regulatory dimensions.
- Collaborate with engineers and other partners on AV safety.
- Identify areas of compliance risk and implement processes to meet regulatory requirements and ensure ongoing compliance.
- Develop and document ethics and compliance policies and procedures that meet the federal sentencing guidelines.
- Maintain, implement, and manage training on compliance-related subjects and hot-line processes.
- Providing legal support to any compliance investigations and audits.
- Work closely with the senior management and human resources to evaluate and respond to suspected compliance violations, and for consistent enforcement, disclosure, and remedial action protocols.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Experienced attorney with 8+ years doing regulatory and/or compliance work in a top law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Strong, demonstrated interest in technology and what Cruise does; ability to relate with engineers and get in the details
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment and cross-functionally
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with short deadlines simultaneously
- Highly responsive and service oriented with excellent legal and business judgment
- Law degree from highly regarded school; technical undergraduate degree a plus
- Member of a State bar
- US based remote applicants welcome, California work hours required
- Data and engineering counseling experience
- Knowledge and experience with NHTSA, CPUC, DMV, or other transportation or robotics regulators
- Crisis management experience
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.