- Full Time
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Software Engineer – Vehicle Platforms.
The Vehicle Platforms team is responsible for bringing up Aurora’s self-driving vehicle platforms and integrating their core hardware components such as compute, base vehicle, embedded devices and sensors into the onboard software, creation of tools to support fleet operations and monitor hardware health, and performance optimization.
In this role, you will
- Define vehicle compute and network architecture
- Perform bring up of new vehicle platforms
- Integrate new sensors and embedded devices and build interfaces for autonomy software
- Address vehicle-specific concerns for vehicle runtime, e.g. stack configuration, performance, hardware health monitoring
- Evolve the fleet from a collection of individual vehicles into a full service platform with integrated metrics and monitoring
- Optimize performance on CPU and GPU and other limited onboard hardware resources
- Work with autonomy engineers to meet latency requirements for sensor data
- Utilize HIL (hardware-in-the-loop) test infrastructure to automatically verify onboard code changes and profile performance
- Provide engineering support for field testing and fleet operations
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Strong programming skills in C++
- Ability to work across multiple programming languages and paradigms
- Experience working with networking protocols, such as TCP, UDP, CAN bus protocols, RTP, gRPC, TFTP, HTTP
- A passion for writing robust, intuitive, high-performance code, and being pragmatic about it
- A passion to work at the hardware/software interface
- Ability to navigate and work effectively in large codebases
- Good communication skills and the ability to work efficiently with cross functional and geographically dispersed teams
- Experience with performance evaluation and optimization.
- Hardware health monitoring frameworks
- Designing and understanding complex software systems and interplay between system components
- Time sensitive networking protocols, e.g. PTP, gPTP, etc.
- Experience working with various sensors, e.g. lidars, radars, cameras, audio, etc.
- Experience with safety critical systems
The base salary range for this position is $189,000.00-$302,000.00 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.