Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Hiring Manager for role: Rich Driscoll
Recruiter for role: Chris Van Groningen
> Please use your Aurora Email Address in this internal application
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Mechanical Product Designer to join our Computer team in Mountain View, San Francisco, or Pittsburgh.
In this role, you will
- Design for prototype and mass-production including machined, injection-molded, formed, die-casted, and/or extruded parts
- Design, assemble, test, and integrate computer systems, and their accompanying power, heating and cooling
- Perform design analysis including stress, strain, thermal, modal, and tolerance
- Create 2-D drawings and documentation with GD&T and SPC fundamentals
- Design for reliability, perform failure analysis, and drive corrective actions
- Work closely with autonomy software teams to define and translate sensor, planning, and control requirements into hardware specifications
- BS / MS in Mechanical Engineering and 7+ years of industry experience in Mechanical Design, preference for Staff level experience
- Proficient in CAD design – Catia V6 preferred, not required
- Technical leadership experience and the successful delivery of an electro-mechanical product for mass production
- Prior industrial experience with High Volume/Contractor Manufacturers
- Experience designing for harsh environments including Shock/Vibration with long term durability
- Electro-mechanical experience with control drawings for PCBAs, connector selection, harness specification, and EMI/EMC shielding requirements
- Experience designing thermal solutions for electro-mechanical devices
- Strong presentation and communication skills for driving critical design decisions
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, design-for-manufacture, design-for-test, and design-of-experiments
- Experience designing compute products with volume, power, complex cooling, or ruggedization requirements (Consumer/Server/Networking/Avionics/Automotive etc)
- Experience with high-speed electronics package design
- Understanding of automotive requirements and qualification processes
- Hobbyist with significant DIY experience and a demonstrated record of executing solid design into great product
The base salary range for this position is $181k to $290k per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.