- Full Time
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Senior Software Engineer – Perception
In this role, you will
- Have an opportunity to tackle end-to-end Perception challenges across various areas relevant to the autonomy system. This includes working on detection and tracking of traffic actors, their action recognition, and semantic understanding of various traffic scenes that the Aurora Driver encounters
- Research and develop state-of-the art deep learning/machine learning models to improve our perception solutions under challenging and diverse scenarios (e.g., on highways and city streets, long-range and multi-sensor object detection, detection under degraded sensors, etc.)
- Collaborate with other members to ideate and improve the Perception system from problems encountered in on-road and simulated testing, and produce robust, well-tested software
- Guide the software development from prototype to production, including training and analysis on large-scale data sets, as well as deploying production-ready solutions on a real-time AV platform that powers the Aurora Driver
- Example projects that a candidate could potentially contribute to (list not exhaustive):
- Design and implementation of state-of-the-art object detection from multimodal sensors
- Design algorithms to extract, leverage, and fuse complementary information from different sensors
- Design and implement state-of-the-art ML systems for object tracking leveraging expertise in recursive state estimation, temporal models, structured prediction, and sequential models
- Analysis of failure modes and implementation/testing of solutions to address the surfaced issues
- Build and scale ML pipelines for quick experimentation, as well as large-scale training and testing
- Excellent software engineering skills in C++ and Python
- Experience with PyTorch, Tensorflow, and/or other deep learning frameworks
- Experience with deployment of CV/ML models in production environments
- Working knowledge in one or more focus areas of ML: deep learning, computer vision, recursive state estimation, structured prediction, optimization, and others
- Prior work on deployment of CV/ML models on large fleets
- Strong grasp of fundamentals: linear algebra, discrete and continuous optimization, supervised and unsupervised methods, generative and discriminative methods
- Prior experience in organizations where strong cross-team collaboration was needed
- Publication record at top-tier robotics/computer vision conferences/journals, or strong industry experience in relevant fields (robotics, computer vision, self-driving technology)
- Contributions to open source project(s)
- Strong presentation and communication skills
The base salary range for this position is $152,000 – $227,000 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.