Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our Lidar team in Mountain View or San Francisco.
In this role, you will
- Scale LIDAR mechanical designs from low volume to high volume production
- Performs necessary DFM/DFA for the transition to high volume.
- Design for prototype and mass-production including machined, injection-molded, formed, die-casted, and extruded parts
- Perform design analysis including stress, strain, thermal, modal, and tolerance
- Create 2-D drawings and documentation with GD&T and SPC fundamentals
- Work with our experienced reliability engineers to ensure our LIDAR meets Aurora’s stringent safety and reliability standards.
- Failure analysis and mediations
- BS / MS in Mechanical Engineering and 5+ years of industry experience in Mechanical Design, preference for Senior/Staff level experience
- Prior industrial experience and High Volume (Preference for Telecommunications experience)
- Proficient in CAD design – Catia V6 preferred, not required
- Experience designing for harsh environments including Shock/Vibration with long term durability
- Experience shielding electronics with EMC/EMI considerations
- Experience designing thermal solutions for volume photonics
- Experience with integrated optics and flip chip assembly.
- Experience with photonic integrated circuits
- Experience with high-speed electronics package design and/or laser package design.
- Experience with fiber routing, reliability and robustness
- Experience miniaturizing photonic systems
- PCBA design and packaging experience
- Experience with common photonics technology such as optical amplifiers, light sources (such as lasers), transmission media, detectors, modulators, etc.
- Hobbyists with significant DIY experience and a demonstrated record of executing solid design into great product
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, design-for-manufacture, design-for-test, and design-of-experiments
- Automotive background
- Strong presentation and communication skills for driving critical design decisions
- Lidar, radar or general sensor tech background
The base salary range for this position is $156k to $234k per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.