Who we are:
Argo AI is a global self-driving products and services company on a mission to make the world’s streets and roadways safe, accessible, and useful for all. Our technology is built to enable commercial services for autonomous delivery and ridesharing in cities.
With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s top consumer brands, we’re working block by block, city by city to empower people and businesses to be more successful. We’re individuals driven by strong values to solve complex problems together. Come join us to reimagine the human journey.
Meet the team:
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all. Vehicle Operations’ essential function at Argo is to safely execute the test and road operations initiatives set forth by our engineering team. Vehicle Operations consists of a team of experts who understand Argo’s underlying vehicle technology and programs. The team then uses that information to effectively manage efforts to meet our mileage and performance goals. These programs will provide detailed feedback to our engineering team on how our vehicles are performing.
What you’ll do:
- The Autonomous Vehicle System Map Specialist (AVSMS) will be responsible for operating Argo’s autonomous vehicle system (AVS) on public roads and on closed courses to perform in-vehicle mapping tasks as part of the overall map build cycle
- Perform duties of AVS operations from both the left seat (LS) and the right seat (RS)
- Undergo a selective training program that educates and establishes expectations for manual driving fundamentals, LS (driving) skills for autonomous operation and disengagement, and RS (co-driving) skills for autonomous operation and system performance
- In the LS, be responsible for the safe, compliant operation of the AVS in both manual and autonomous modes. The AVSMS will develop an acute sense for AVS performance, monitoring software improvements as they relate to vehicle dynamics and interactions with a dynamic environment, challenging intersections and other road users. Be responsible for proactively searching and evaluating a dynamic traffic environment, ready to disengage autonomy in the event the AVS encounters a situation it cannot yet handle
- In the RS, be responsible for monitoring the software performance from a proprietary Graphical User Interface (GUI) on a laptop integrated with the AVS, proactively advising the LS of any situations that warrant them to disengage autonomy. With the GUI as the primary sensory input, the RS is very much like executing a virtual driving task, monitoring AVS’s perception, prediction and tracking of the dynamic environments and all other road users
- When the Autonomous Vehicle (AV) is operating in manual mode, the RS is responsible for creating a route and communicating turn by turn directions to the LS. During in-vehicle map quality assurance (QA) evaluations, the RS is expected to identify and flag discrepancies between the real world and map objects in the GUI
- Both roles require clear and concise communications with the RS taking notes on AVS performance, highlighting both areas of AVS strengths and areas for improvement, so that engineers and developers can continuously improve the map and software. As the AVS and SW are continuously improving, the AVSMS will remain up to date on relevant continuing education material, as well as policies and procedures
What you'll need to succeed:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent with two years of employment experience required
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to meet Argo’s minimum driving record requirements, as verified by Motor Vehicle Record background checks prior to hire and periodically thereafter
- Ability to monitor and test software via laptop in a moving vehicle and type proficiently
- Experience in a professional work environment where safety, honesty, procedure and/or software testing are emphasized
- Strong desire to learn new skills related to technology and software
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to span a large and varied workforce
- Detail oriented mindset with a focus on safety and procedure
- Ability to work in close quarters in a professional manner for extended periods of time
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Ability to pass ten-panel drug screen and criminal background checks conducted prior to employment
- Ability to travel to remote offices and test facilities as needed
Nice to haves:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Previous mapping experience preferred
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program
- Paid medical leave
- 30 day paid sabbatical upon 5 years of employment
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,700-person strong company with strategic partnerships with some of the world’s leading consumer brands. With global headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate in eight cities across the U.S. and Germany in areas where self-driving technology can have the biggest impact on improving safety, traffic, and transportation equity.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.
To ensure the health and well being of our teammates and partners, Argo is working toward a policy that requires those working on site to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The amount of on-site work required for each role will vary based on the essential functions of the position and designations made by team leaders. Whenever possible, we try to consider special circumstances and provide flexibility for some remote work.
This role is designated as one that requires frequent on-site work. Candidates should expect to come into the workplace 5 days per week. A COVID-19 vaccination is required to come on site. Argo will consider accommodations for disability and religious-based reasons or as otherwise required by applicable law.